Monday 30 January 2012

January update

My page for Leanie's Artistic License circle journal.
Leanie asked us to use the artist Vincent Gachaga as inspiration for her CJ.
Using a 7" x 5" watercolour paper board provided by Leanie I have interpreted Gachaga's 2011 work called 'Desired' using a drawn scanned image of a girl and plenty of gesso, paints, inks and stamps.
A small photo of the Gachaga's original artwork is on the back of the board.
This Book of Secrets is one of 2 that I have made for a swap on UK Scrappers. Netty gave us a link to this site and the names and subjects of 2 fellow swappees. One of my swappees, Karen, had chosen Sculpture as her topic! I really had no idea how I was going to do this book and then I remembered last year when I visited Irene we went to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park where I took a series of photos of an exhibition put on by the sculptor Jaum Plensa. I have used these photos to create Karen's book. The cover is made from Tim Holtz grunge paper, Golden moulding paste and painted with acrylic paints and inks.
In the centre of the book are 3 opening drawers made from swan vesta matchboxes and filled with little secrets. I tried to choose things that I hoped Karen would like.








The book is now in Karen's possession so I am not spoiling the surprise for her.
My other book of secrets is on its way to Canada and once it has arrived at its destination I will post some photos here on my blog.
Thanks for looking.

5 comments:

AlliR said...

The sculpture book is stunning! Love those little boxes of hidden treasure.

Curly said...

Oh wowsie they are sooooo super Shirl.

kjjc said...

I am now the proud owner of this book and it's lovely. A lot of work went into it so a big thank you Shirley. I have wanted to see this exhibition and not got there so now a bit of me has.

Sarah said...

both CJ entry and LBOS are wonderful!!

voodoo vixen said...

I love the colour of Karen's book, it's so rich and lush looking!! I'm looking forward to getting mine... am haunting the mailbox across the road from the house!!