Thursday 21 February 2013

Artful Reading Book 2

The Tin Ring ... Author - Zdenka Fantlova

The Tin Ring starts off very gently with Zdenka Fantlova recounting her childhood in Czechoslovakia. Painting a vivid picture of country life spent with her family, although her childhood has some sad moments she was obviously happy and enjoyed her life. Things changed rapidly for her when she, along with the rest of her family, were sent to Terezan concentration camp. Her first love Arno was also sent to the camp but sadly they were soon parted and on the day that Arno gave Zdenka a home made tin ring he was sent to a penal colony in the East. That day was the last time they would be together.

The book is Zdenka's memories of her years spent in a number of different concentration camps. She spent the final days of WW2 in Bergen-Belsen where she was found by an unknown British soldier. Throughout the time she spent in the camps she managed to keep Arno's tin ring, often risking death by keeping it with her. It is this ring and the hope that one day she would meet Arno again that gave her the strength and will to live.

This book is obviously not going to appeal to everyone but having seen Zdenka Fantlova being interviewed on TV I was motivated enough to read her book. She does share many of her harrowing experiences but not in a sensational way. It is an easy read as far as the style it is written in and can be read in quite a short while but that maybe because you just want to keep reading the book anyway. I did find at the beginning of the book the chapters seemed a little short but once I overcame that slight irritation I was fine with it! I can not say it is a book that I enjoyed reading because of the subject matter but it is a book that I am glad I have read. I would certainly recommend it if you are comfortable reading about this era in history.

For my artwork inspired by the book I have roughly drawn the ring to give the impression of the tin ring. I then made a light background using Tim Holtz distress ink and stamped and embossed the heart image. I wrote Arno's name below the heart and then masked off the circle. I proceeded to make a darker surrounding background with the distress inks and a red Dylusions mist. My choice of stamps for the background were selected to depict various moments in the book. The numbers are to indicate the endless times Zdenka had to be counted by her prison guards. The butterflies are my addition for hope and remembrance as there was a butterfly project a while ago to commemorate the victims of the holocaust. The other images are self explanatory. I drew the barbed wire frame using a silver gel pen.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

 

25 comments:

Lynne said...

Shirley very inspiring piece of artwork and thank you for your explanation about what you did on your page to produce the lovely finished piece xx Can we see the finished pages at our weekend please?

Gina said...

What a beautiful piece. You managed to produce an image of hope amidst atrocity. You are braver than me, i would have never made it through the "visual" side of this true story...breaks my heart to even think about how many people didn't survive.
Excellent review :D XXX

San @ Made in Hem said...

We remember WW2 and celebrate our Freedom every year. There were so many stories/books/documentaries during my school period that I came to dislike them and probably won't read this book... Sorry!
I really do like the Art-page you made! It has so many layers, very clever! ♥

Irene said...

Sounds a goor read Shirley,I have read a few books related to the atrocites of WW2 as you say sometimes sad reading,but,these things should never be forgotten,and the courage of these people that lived it.
And I love your art interpretation,just gorgeousxx

Sarah said...

This book sounds like a remarkable account of a very brave woman. Like many I find this kind of thing difficult to read, but feel like I should try harder - after all if she could live that life the least I could do would be to read about it.

I absolutely love your page and the thought you have put into every single element. Looks wonderful.

Darcy Marshall said...

This is such a beautiful piece, so well thought out and soulful. I am not sure i could make it through the book, these stories are so deeply traumatic. Even with stories of survival there is such sadness, that nobody should ever have to endure. I admire the care and thought you put into this piece.

Unknown said...

Oh I couldn't read this kind of book I have an idea of the sorrow and torture they suffer though news reels and films even museums. I read the boy in the striped pjs and was horrified by the ending too much trauma. I need happy ever afters lol

lovely art work though I am glad I am reading all these reviews very informitive. Dxx

Unknown said...

Oh I couldn't read this kind of book I have an idea of the sorrow and torture they suffer though news reels and films, even museums. I read the boy in the striped pjs and was horrified by the ending too much trauma. I need happy ever afters lol

lovely art work though I am glad I am reading all these reviews very informitive. Dxx

Jay said...

its hard to read these books but they do make good books to read and feed the soul

abby j said...

Sounds like a book I'd enjoy...great review. I'm fascinated with that horror-filled time in history, having visited a few of the concentration camps in Germany and Poland. Hard to imagine that kind of cruelty...and it still goes on every day in more than one part of the world!! Meaningful art... thanks for sharing!!

Jen said...

A wonderful review and your art work is beautiful. Every part of it has so much meaning which you have brought with you from the book.
Jen x

Leialoha said...

Thank you for this beautiful, moving book review and art expression...Love the time you took with the distress inks, sprays & stamps to convey her story...brilliant.

Jenny said...

Sounds like such a sad but courageous book Shirley... just love your inspired art piece... the background is gorgeous...

Jenny ♥

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I just finished watching Schindler's List on TV. It was devastating to think how a few people could control an entire nation and race of people. You did an excellent job with both the book review and the art.

Janet said...

Your artwork for this book is very thoughtful and most effective. This would not be a book I would read, purely because I could not keep the images it conjured up between the books'covers as it would upset me.

Janet xx

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Very striking! I totally can see it as a book cover. :)

Tracey FK said...

That artwork is so eye catching and full of movement ... it really drew me in... and the review was great as well... I do like it when they don't sensationalize things... it makes it so much more powerful somehow...xx

Jez said...

Your review itself brought so many images and thoughts to mind about the bravery and suffering of people in these camps, and their bravery in fighting to survive.
Your review would have inspired me once to read the book, but I have become escapist in my old age and sadly could not read it now. Your artwork combines so many aspects of the story into a lovely whole.

Catie Cuddles said...

A very thoughtful piece of art and a good review to read. I am not sure I could read the book... Not exactly my type of read, but glad it inspired you.
Catherine

SusieJ said...

Your artwork is inspirational..you've managed to combine hope along with the horror.
The review is honest an gives a feel for the book.
Will I read it...probably not as I get way too emotional..
Hugs xx

Teri said...

I love the complexness of your artwork and all the symbols you have worked into it. Fabulous!

Kerry said...

I love reading stories (either fact or fiction) about history so I will definitely be giving this one a go after reading your review.

Your artwork is wonderful.

Carmen said...

Like so many others have said, I feel like I should read these books but just can't.

Your artwork is so beautiful with so much meaning - thank you for explaining all the techniques and layers :-)

Alison xx said...

Wonderful artwork, I love your colours. Sounds like a tough read. A xx

Maz said...

Fabulous artwork and sounds like an interesting read. x